State Cost-Share Programs

Conservation practices benefit all Kansans by providing cleaner water, more productive crop and grazing lands, and improved wildlife habitat. The State Conservation Commission (SCC) administers three voluntary cost-share programs, the Water Resources Cost-Share Program, the Non-Point Source Pollution Control Program, and the Riparian and Wetland Protection Program. These programs provide financial assistance to eligible landowners for conservation practices that reduce soil erosion, improve water quality, and/or conserve water.

All of the SCC programs are guided by the SCC board of commissioners consisting of five elected and four appointed members. The Kansas Water Authority annually develops the Kansas Water Plan which provides recommendations to the Kansas Legislature in determining appropriations and priorities. Most of the SCC programs are funded through the Kansas Water Plans dedicated sources of funding. It is this funding source the SCC, through conservation districts, has financial assistance available for Kansas landowners to apply conservation practices. Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Assistance.

Program funds are allocated to each conservation district on July 1, which is the beginning of the state fiscal year. Additional financial assistance funds are allocated to address water quality impairments identified in river segments and lakes through the Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs) process. The TMDLs set the maximum amount of pollution that a specific waterbody can recieve without violating the surface water quality standards.

Local Program Administration
The state cost-share programs are admistered locally in each county by the conservation district. The conservation district board of supervisors tailors state programs to meet critical conservation needs identified within the county. Annually, the supervisors establish local policies, which include selecting practices, determining landowner limits, and setting cost-share rates not to exceed 70%.

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) provides a majority of the technical assistance. Conservation practices must also meet standards to ensure functionality and long life. Most practices funded by the SCC must meet standards of the NRCS. Nearly all of the conservation districts in Kansas are co-located in a USDA Service Center with NRCS.

Application for Cost-Share
Each county conservation district accepts requests for financial assistance during a sign-up. After the sign-up period each application is reviewed by the board of supervisors and district staff for eligibility and rank ordered according to state and locally identified priorities. Landowners are notified by the conservation district if the project is approved or denied for cost-share assistance.

After conservation district approval the cost-share applicants must sign a State Conservation Commission Contract for Financial Assistance which explains conditions of receiving state cost-share funds. This document assures proper conformance to state practice implementation and maintenance requirements for a minimum of 10 years. Construction of cost-share practices can not begin until a contract is approved by the conservation district, approved by the State Conservation Commission, and signed by the landowner(s).

After the practice is completed the landowner notifies the conservation district and submits invoice(s)/receipt(s) to the office. An authorized representative of the conservation district will verify the practice was completed according to specification. The conservation district submits a request to the State Conservation Commission for payment to the landowner.

County average cost is used as basis for determining the amount of cost-share assistance earned. Cost-share is also based upon availability of funds, project limits, and landowner limits. A landowner receiving $600 or more in cost-share assistance will receive Form 1099-G from the State of Kansas.

Practices available for funding from the Barber County Conservation District thru the Water Resources Cost Share Program (WRCSP) and the Non-Point Source Pollution Control Program (NPSPCP) include:

Please contact the Barber County Conservation District for program availability or to see how you can get more involved in conserving soil & water for future generations.

Funding provided in part by the State Conservation Commission through appropriation from the Kansas Water Plan Fund.

***All programs of the Barber County Conservation District
are available without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, marital status, age or handicap.***

Federal Cost Share Programs

Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)

Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)

Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)

For more information, please contact the NRCS office.
Information Provided in part by the State Conservation Commission